Thursday, April 5, 2012

*perfect pestilence* JENNY POX Review HERE!




Eighteen-year-old Jenny Morton has a horrific secret: her touch spreads a deadly supernatural plague, the "Jenny pox." She lives by a single rule: Never touch anyone. A lifetime of avoiding any physical contact with others has made her isolated and painfully lonely in her small rural town. 

Then she meets the one boy she can touch. Jenny feels herself falling for Seth...but if she's going to be with him, Jenny must learn to use the deadly pox inside her to confront his ruthless and manipulative girlfriend Ashleigh, who secretly wields the most dangerous power of all. 

*

I was expecting less-than-nothing from this book and got a book that distracted me from doing my chores! This is definitely a mature young adult read and I recommend it to the 16+ crowd. Parents that are concerned with realistic but mature themes should read this book first or disallow younger teens from reading it. That said, it is not a gratuitous read and was well done and insightful from the perspective of the teenage mind. 

The story centers around Jenny and grabs a reader from page one. We feel nothing but empathy for Jenny Morton, aka Jenny Mittens as she is relegated to a touch-less life, without friends and isolated because of her extraordinary paranormal gift of spreading death through touch. And not just any death *rubbing my hands together in undisguised glee* but pestilence-type demise. It was a brilliant precept and one I never tired of during the entire read. Creepy, disarming, disconcerting and engaging, we root for Jenny because she gets by with so little and protects so many. Life gets complicated when Jenny develops a crush on the coolest boy in the school. Of course, he is dating the coolest girl (who turns out to be anything but). As the story unravels, and many pop up during the story as other than what we thought they were, we learn that Jenny is not the only one who has a special ability; there are more and they don't always play well with others!

What I loved: wow! Bryan knows how to command a page. Every page felt like it was conveying information in an infused capsule of intrigue and creeping terror and foreshadowing that completely blasted my schedule. I wanted to blow off everything else and just read this book! He is a captivating writer: he possesses that rare narrative voice that I love coupled with snazzy dialogue with naughty underplay and the nastiness of humanity that is absolutely truthful, edgy and honest. Bravo! The concept. I read a lot and haven't read anything quite like this and I was pleased by the unique premise. I liked the flawed heroine that is actually less attractive than her nemesis. It was put together wonderfully. The ending just rocked! It was an unexpected turn of events that was at once disquieting and satisfying. I know, a paradox, right? Well, in many ways, this tale reads as one, with the ending firmly cementing the desire to enter this riveting world fashioned by Bryan.

What I wasn't as keen on: the parallels. I'm a huge King fan and thought some undertones of the book echoed those of, CARRIE. I tried to talk myself out of this but couldn't quite get past it all the time. A girl with an extraordinary power comes full circle in a way that is eerily reminiscent of that almost-forty-year old work. But... I believe this book is better, less extreme (sorry, Stephen!). The soft edges that Bryan threw in there definitely balanced the rawness of the story and that made it better for me.

A terrific book for mature YA, horror, intrigue and paranormal lovers. I did download a free copy via Amazon but would have paid, It's that great!


5 of 5 stars

Genre: Horror
Sub-genre: paranormal/occult/romance/YA MATURE
Elements: profanity, drug use, sexuality

Noteworthy: love the cover art. I'm a big fan of Phatpuppy~

No comments:

Post a Comment