Thursday, July 7, 2011

Thursday Focus: Author/Interview~ Amy Lunderman



TRB: Amy, how do you find time to write with a small child to raise?

AL: Very stealthily, kind of like a ninja! Lol! Sometimes it feels that way, but for now I take advantage of sleeping time. Hers not mine; since she is still young she has a nap and is in bed early. I try to write as much as I can during that time, and lucky for me she loves her sleep.

TRB: What made you choose to go Indie? What is your advice to other authors that don't wish to go the “legacy publishing” route?

AL: With the demand of e-Books, this is the most used and professional form of self-publishing. It definitely makes it easier for a first-time writer to give it a try. The best advice for anyone choosing to go "indie" is to edit! I revise a first draft so many times that the words blur together, and sometimes I feel like it isn’t even enough. So edit like it’s going out of style!

TBR: I hear that!


TRB: Where did you get your idea(s) for your novels, They Walk, and the sequel, They Stumble? Is it a predominately “zombie novel,” or does it have zombies as a part of it with other supporting elements?

AL:  I’ve been a hardcore zombie fan for a while now, and a couple months ago I had a marathon of the AMC series, The Walking Dead. That night I ended up have crazy dream about a girl named Maggie who had to fight dozens of zombies. The next morning I started writing right away, and even though I changed most of the plot and outcome (because it wouldn’t make sense, the dream was wacko; seriously) it still stuck with me to keep [it] going! I’d say it’s most definitely a “zombie novel,” but without giving anything away, there is a twist I added that will make it it’s own.

TRB: What type/style of a writer are you? Seat-of-Your Pants? Outline Queen? Master Plotter?

AL: I’m a little bit of all three actually, but mainly an outline queen, for sure. I usually take my main plot idea and outline the entire book out before I write anything. Most times when I get into the writing, I’ve noticed that the plot can change as I go; almost like it’s taking me for the ride and not the other way around.

TRB: Did you model any characters after real-life people? Is there a character that resonates with you?

AL: It’s funny that you ask that, because yes I do! I use a lot of characteristics from some of my family members, and sometimes I don’t even change the name. I find that it helps to use someone familiar when trying to create a character, it helps when you’re trying to find depth. It’s hard for me to pick one character from my writing that really sticks with me, but if I had to choose I’d pick the MC Maggie. She is the one character that I really had to get close to, since she is the MC and all.

TRB: What is your hope for readers to experience by reading your novel?

AL: My ideal reader is someone like me, I suppose. Someone who loves a suspenseful book that is filled with plot twists, new love, and teenage angst. I hope that the reader of my book can have all of the above, as well as a fun read by jumping on the ride of zombie craziness.


TRB: Is there a playlist that you listen to that inspires you while you're writing?

AL: Is there a playlist? Of course there is! I always make it a point to listen to something while I am writing, and it really helps me set the mood of the book. When I wrote the first book, They Walk, I listened to a lot of Within Temptation. I’d say their “Heart of Everything” album is the soundtrack with the song “What Have You Done,” as the theme. I listened to other [artists] for the other two books, but this one really stuck with me.

TRB: Who is your favorite author? Is there a certain genre you read [in] exclusively?

AL: I live to read paranormal romance! Whether they are adult or young adult, I love to read them all. I started reading Fear Street, by R.L. Stine when I was younger and even now I still reread all the works by Laurell K. Hamilton. I still love going back to read each of them both, no matter that I could read them with my eyes closed. I enjoy the fast paced action mixed in with the paranormal, and it inspired to me use that sort of thing with my own writing.

TRB: I love Hamilton.

Other favorites are everything by Kelley Armstrong, Lauren Kate, Richelle Mead, Cassandra Clare, Carrie Ryan, Karen Chance, Lili St. Crow, Sophie Jordan, Julie Kagawa, Rachel Caine, L. J. Smith, Catherine Fisher, Melissa De La Cruz, Patricia Briggs, and Kim Harrison.

TRB: Are you a DTB (Dead Tree Book) reader, or do you use a dedicated reader? What do you predict for the future of these two formats?

AL: It’s a toss-up for which format I love to read, but I do like them both. I love the feel of having an actual book in my hands, that doesn’t have to be plugged in to charge, but I do like the convenience of having everything on demand. See? It’s a toss-up! Using a dedicated reader is something that is going to be everywhere pretty soon, which is nice for an e-Book writer such as myself. One of these days I’d actually like to have my own works in print, which is definitely something I am striving for.

TRB: When can we expect the exciting sequel for, They Stumble, will publish? What are a few things the reader can expect from book three?

AL: They Fall, book three in the trilogy, was just released actually! One thing the reader can expect is to be ready for a startling conclusion. Again, I don’t want to give anything away but…..be prepared to be shocked. Did I mention that I love a plot twist? *enter sinister laugh here*

TRB: Awesome! More-to-love!


TRB: How has your experience as an author been different from what you expected?

AL: Not to sound lazy, but it’s a lot more work than I expected! So far I’ve been doing it all myself; with the helpful guide of the internet. Since I am sans publisher and editor, I have to really make myself buckle down and try to get the word out about my writing, as well as find the time to write.

I have created my own blog though, and got my own twitter account, as well as Facebook; so that helps tremendously. It’s definitely worth all the hard work; I love getting lost in the writing process and story world building.

 Book 2, They Stumble

Author Bio~
Amy Lunderman is a stay-at-home mom, with a passion to write paranormal romantic thrillers, whether they be adult or young adult. She lives in Rhode Island with her fiancé and their beautiful daughter. She enjoys writing, reading, being a mom, watching movies and television, having dance party, you tube, and status updates on Facebook.

 *

TRB: I have not yet had the pleasure of reading Amy's zombie trilogy but hope to in the near future...Thanks for being a guest on my blog, Amy~! :D
 They Fall, Book 3

Connect with Amy~

Blog: http://amylunderman.blogspot.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/AmyLunderman
goodreads: Click HERE


5 comments:

  1. Very nice. What a fun interview! We love The Walking Dead--my hubby a little more than me. Sounds like an interesting book series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She likes Within Temptation and she's a Ninja - Amy rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy has been gracious and supportive to me at every turn...and, let's face it; it's not too *tough* to promote zombies...I sort of dig 'em! Ha! Thanks for your comments! Amy does *rock*!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for taking the time to interview me Tamara; it was fun and you rock too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview.:-D I found it really interesting that you use people you know in the story.

    In a way, I do it too, although I generally only take certain aspects and make and break the rest as I want so that my characters don't really resemble anyone.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts, this comment will be verified.